London Map for Ottolenghi




Ottolenghi are a company with a series of very successful delis, and restaurants dotted around the centre of London. Their food is "a distinctive mix of Middle Eastern flavours – Syrian, Turkish, Lebanese, Iranian, Israeli and Armenian with a Western twist".

This year the company issued an open competition to design a premises locator summed up within one image for a postcard. And I thought it would be fun to have a go - you never know where these things lead to. So I began work on my own entry.

I have used food such as a gherkin and a cheese grater (two nicknames for some of London's newer buildings) to insert a bit of humour in the map of the capital. Sadly, it was not eventually chosen by the company, but I did see the Ottolenghi owner, Yotam Ottolenhgi's reaction to my entry "that's just brilliant", which is a great compensation.

Here are some details of the map.  



The Belgravia side of London

The East End including Islington and Spitalfields

The West End Including Notting Hill and Nopi in Warwick Street


South London

Process
 
I planned the image using a map of London as reference


When the drawing was complete I scanned it into the computer

An early colour option.
I very much enjoyed making this map.

No comments:

Post a Comment